Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Espana Por Favor

Mandarin is the world's largest spoken native language. Which is the second?


Na, not Hindi.... The answer is el español. That's Spanish for Spanish.

Spanish is also a major language of music. I remember singing 'Una Paloma Blanca' at age 5 and my cousin Glen - who sang a lot of the funny songs (I'll give you a list of those some other time) had us rotf (rolling on the floor) with this song about Spain - Y Viva Espana.



Though I cannot understand a word of Spanish, I (and I'm sure you too) have a lot of Spanish songs in the list of my favorites - with 'Volare' and 'La Bamba' at the top.


     

I'm not a big fan of Bollywood, but I've enjoyed a couple of globe-trotting movies of this genre in recent years including English Vinglish (इंग्लिश विंग्लिश) and Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (ज़िन्दगी न मिलेगी दुबारा)

While the former had classic Marathi in the soundtrack, we all enjoyed the Spanish music in the latter with the very popular 'Senorita'.



Are you wondering, why I'm going on and on about Spain and Spanish?

That's because today is La Tomatina Festival and the theme of the Google Doodle. While travelling through Spain, the movie gave us glimpse of some great tourism events there including a glimpse of the Tomatina Festival in a song.



So let's Paint It Red as the title of the song suggests - I've painted my website. As for all the other colours, we'll wait for Spring and Holi.

As for today, make sure you eat a tomato. Don't throw them - cause if you do, they too may get as pricey as the onions.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs