Friday, March 25, 2016

Good Friday


It's a special weekend - the Holy Week Triduum. And today is Good Friday - a day to reflect on the great Power of Love. "Greater love has no one than this, than He lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13). 

On this solemn day, I thought I'd share with you the hymns on this 'great love' that I've heard and loved over the years. 


How Great Thou Art

A common hymn that we sang in church, I must have learnt at the age of 4 or 5. Close your eyes and listen carefully to the words, and maybe you will understand the power of this song. 




The Old Rugged Cross

Another traditional favorite. Whenever she played the organ in church, and need a filler (my first ever music teacher in school, late Mrs. Rachel Lobo) would play this with such feeling that it would nearly get tears to my eyes. 




Via Dolorosa

First heard this song on a hymn compilation cassette (some of you may not know what that is) given to us my Sister aunt. Listening to the song made me feel like I was jostling along with the crowds on the 'Via Dolorosa' - the road of sorrows. A warning for the weak-hearted, the images on this video from 'The Passion of Christ' may be a little too hard for you.




In My Place

Also featured in 'The Passion of Christ', this song by Coldplay is a reminder that 'Jesus Died ... In My Place'




Driving Nails

The fourth station on the Way of the Cross is "Jesus meets his mother'. Remembering the words of Simeon, the prophet "A soul will pierce your own soul too" (Luke 2:35), this song tries to capture Mary's thoughts through his life with significance to the 'Driving Nails' up on the hillside. 


Above All

I was driving on my way to work in the busy Sharjah Industrial Area, when this song I had only recently downloaded started playing on the car CD. And when the chorus played, the hair on my arms was standing. 



God Saw The Cross

Another beautiful reflection about the victorious power of the Cross. Listen to it... and remember the meaning of this day...




As we go through this Good Friday... in prayer and reflection, let's be thankful for the 'Greatest Love of All' and that it's there for ME.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs